Friday, February 26, 2010

You know you are from NY when....

You Know You're From New York When...

* You're 35 years old and don't have a driver's license.
* You ride in a subway car with no air conditioning just because there are seats available.
* You take the train home and you know exactly where on the platform the doors will open that will leave you right in front of the exit stairway.
* You know what a "regular" coffee is.
* It's not Manhattan...... It's the "city".
* There is no north and south. It's "uptown" or "downtown." If you're really from New York you have absolutely no concept of where north and south are.... And east or west is "crosstown."
* You cross the street anywhere but on the corners and you yell at cars for not respecting your right to do it.
* You move 3,000 miles away, spend 10 years learning the local language and people still know you're from Brooklyn the minute you open your mouth.
* You return after 10 years and the first foods you want are a "real" pizza and a "real" bagel.
* A 500 square foot apartment is large.
* You know the differences between all the different Ray's pizzas.
* You are not under the mistaken impression that any human being would be able to actually understand a p.a. Announcement on the subway.
* You wouldn't bother ordering pizza in any other city.
* You get ready to order dinner every night and must choose from the major food groups which are: Chinese, Italian, Mexican or Indian.
* You're not the least bit interested in going to Times Square on New Year's eve.
* Your internal clock is permanently set to know when alternate side of the street parking regulations are in effect.
* Someone bumps into you, and you check for your wallet.
* You don't even notice the lady walking down the road having a perfectly normal conversation with herself.
* You pay "only" $230 a month to park your car.
* The presidential visit is a major traffic jam, not an honor.
* You can nap on the subway and never miss your stop.
*You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.
*You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.
*You know what a bodega is.
*You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.
*You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went away to camp as a kid.
*Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

*You actually get these jokes and pass them on to other friends from NYC.


Photobucket




Photobucket

9 comments:

Mary Grovine said...

Boy, if that isn't the TRUTH!!! I'll have to copy this and put it on my blog! I'll have to search the net for others. There is one for South Dakota!

We left N.Y. (actually, eastern L.I.) years ago. I miss: REAL PIZZA, Carvel, Devil Dogs and any Drakes Cakes, Campbell's Manhattan Clam Chowder; Thomas's English Muffins, Wise Potato Chips, Entenmann's Crumb Cake, and a host of other things. Every now and then, a friend or relative will send a care package!!!

Oh, I've pretty much deleted Facebook and have gone to just having it for my kids and their friends and a few close contacts. But, you can e-mail me!!!

lesstaken@gmail.com said...

Oh Thats key on and only some of us would know it. LOL. Love the new header pic. Soooo Cute :)

Beautifully Veiled said...

That is too funny! I guess it is a world within a world, huh? I have just laughed and laughed over this. Too bad that their isn't sound on these blogs. I'd love to hear your accent. (And you'd laugh your head off to hear mine!)

The Road Less Traveled said...

You made me smile!

So, what is a bodega and how do you pronounce it? LOL

I love you accent, but to be honest you talk so fast that I had a hard time keeping up...but then I'm sure I had a draw...LOL

** I don't get most of the jokes...* :-D

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

YahKheena, you crack me up! I don't have THAT much of an accent! I don't even notice it!

Seriously-what's a bodega? BO-DAY-GA.
lol. It's a corner store. Usually very small, containing mostly food, diapers,cigarettes,pet food,and lotto and atm machine. Most likely there will be a man or two standing outside of it. And it's not usually run by an American. Either someone of Hispanic or Middle Eastern ethnicity (I'm not being a racist or making generalizations, that is the honest to God truth that i've seen and I've lived here all my life). It's a good store for that "oops i forgot something common from the supermarket but i don't want to go all the way back" type item. lol.
I hope i explained it right.

~ Maria ~ said...

I must tell you that it is a delight to have found your blog :)

My husband is from NYC and yes, I understood everything you just wrote about...oh my goodness, I am still laughing :)

Thank you for following my kitchen blog - lets loose weight together :)

Blessings,

Maria

Civilla said...

Back to Civilla. Yes, I love N.Y., because I'm from there (Eastern Long Island, actually -- but my father was from Brooklyn and my mother from Queens).

Elizabeth said...

You know you're from the deep south when you read "You know you are from NY when..." and just scratch you head.

Well, the ones that I got were too funny :-P

joyfulwifeandmama said...

Thanks for the post. I loved it! You've brought back memories from "home"! :)