Thursday, November 5, 2009

Teaching your son to be a man

Yesterday was my son's 5th birthday. I was thinking back on his life so far, and thinking towards his future. And i returned my mind to the subject of manhood.

I've been thinking alot about this subject. With the amount of disrespect that spews from the male youth towards women these days, I am greatly concerned for my son. Why would I look into this subject and not rely on his father? Simply because he does not listen to his father. His father has spoiled him and his sister to the point that they don't take him seriously when it comes to discipline. They will constantly not listen to him, make too much noise for him (he has PTSD), and cause havoc. Now if i walk into the same room, they will almost immediately behave. This is something that i desperately am trying to change tho. Any advice you may have on the subject would be GREATLY appreciated. Because of this, i was looking for information on teaching your son to be a man. My husband was raised right. He has the upmost respect for women, knows how to be a gentleman, and how to keep his manliness. I want to try and emulate how he was raised to ensure that i get the same results from my son. But there is major differences. My husband is one of 6 kids. I only have 2. They depended on each other for support, help, and encouragement. They all knew what was expected of them and worked together for their goals. Also, it was a different world back then (just to let you guys know, my husband is 47). The kids today are in such a different world with so much more pressures that it's incredible.
And for single mothers and mothers whose husbands are unable or incapable of helping them it must be doubly hard. So here are a few resources that i found that might help.

I found a nice article on this site called The art of manliness. The whole site is devoted on being a man, and it is done with taste. They have lots of articles on fatherhood. It is an encouragement to any man.

The The Vision Forum has a whole section of their inventory dedicated to boyhood and lots of books, dvds and audio books to help you raise not only Godly and respectful boys into men, but to help the whole family as well.


I found this article at Jesus-is-savior.com that have some great advice, but does not sugar coat anything. I do not necessarily endorse or agree with everything on the site, i have not had a chance to even go over everything on that extensive site. So please discern and browse with caution towards your heart.

"Why do you need to teach your son to become a man?" some may say. "Why not let it happen naturally?"

Because I love my son.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

Photobucket

I want my son to grow up to be a Godly man. I want him to naturally hold doors for women, to stand up for what he believes in, to be secure in his masculinity, to want to protect women, children, and his country. I want him to marry, and give me lots of children. I do NOT want him to grow up to be a homosexual, a wife-beater, a deserter, a dead-beat dad, a good for nothing, self-centered or a crook.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

See the difference?

That's what i want for my son.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LisaShaw said...

Hi Bridgett,

I pray your son had a wonderful Birthday and your Mother heart is beautiful.