Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thanks for your prayers!

I was up all night but when i woke up the swelling was going down. I went to the doctor this morning, and got some antibiotics, and was told to take them and my allergy medicine (which i always forget to take) and to put hydrocortizone on my arm as well. So it was a combination of my scratching causing an infection (you can say i told you so Mary!) and my body's allergic reaction to the bites that caused me all the trouble. It's still slightly swollen and warm but I have no more shooting pain. But I'm still itchy a bit. The doctor says if i scratch it will swell up bad again and start the problem all over. So I'm still trusting on the Lord for a full recovery and praying that I never get into a situation like this again! (God FORBID I ever get the real itchies like from poision ivy-which i've never encountered!!! I'll probably scratch myself into a coma!)
Oh, YaChnna, I'm going to look for that plant. When you said Plantain, the first thing i thought about was the fruit! I said to myself, wait, she wants me to put food on my arm??? LOL.
It's funny that two different things have the same name.

6 comments:

Mary at Civilla's Cyber Cafe said...

Yes, I told you so, ha-ha! Glad you went to the doc. Yes, scratching can get infected. But, like you said, it was that combined with the allergic reaction. Wonder what kind of insect it was??

I think YaChnna was talking about the LEAVES of the plantain plant. But do those grow in your area?

Yes, you'd have to get some anti-itch cream or something if you got poison ivy. My husband once had it so bad he had to go to the doctor and get some prescription meds.

Don't forget to take the meds exactly how the doc said to: take them until they are finished, even if the itching and swelling goes away. Finish all the medicine, or else you will have killed only the weaker bacteria/germs and the stronger ones, which will have gone through a half-round of antibiotics, will come back stronger this time as they will now have built up an immunity to the antibiotic. Then, if the infection comes back, you will need a stronger antibiotic.

Not finishing an antibiotic is how "super-bugs" are created. Don't be afraid of taking too much medicine. Take it exactly how the doctor ordered until all of the medicine is gone. Love! I tell everybody this.

LisaShaw said...

Praying for you and your family in the Name of Jesus.

Martha said...

Ouch, that sounds painful! I must say, your blog post caused me to scratch at my "itchies" (word invented by my son LOL)

I hope you feel better soon!!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Your prayers are always wanted Lisa!

Mary- I feel like i should be saying "Yes Mother!" to you! lol. I'm glad that there are true friends out in the blog world like you, YaChna and Lisa who are also like a mom to me. (DONT GET THE WRONG IDEA, I'M NOT CALLING YA'LL OLD! lol) You guys can teach me all the things I should have learned from her. (Especially motherhood!) I really have no one who i can go to for advice. Last night, i told my husband, "What if i have meningitis!" But you guys probably would not have even gone in that direction with your thoughts!

I'm just trying to say Thanks. All of you guys mean the world to me!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Wow Martha, your comment was a couple of minutes before mine and squeezed in!!! lol. My children always say they have a scratch when they have an itch and itch it when they mean scratch it.

The Road Less Traveled said...

...the first thing i thought about was the fruit! I said to myself, wait, she wants me to put food on my arm??? LOL.


LOL...I forgot there is a fruit 'plantain' LOL.

It's a weed found in most yards:-D