Friday, March 6, 2009

Bringing down women?

A female coworker of mine was asking me about my goals in life, whether i wanted any more children, etc. I told her how if i was to have another baby, I would probably quit my job. I want to devote all of my time to any children i have until they are old enough to be safely in school or such. That was the case with both of my children. I was a stay at home mom for 5 years. Until both my children were in school. My daughter in pre-school and my son in special ed. I would not want anything else for any new child i would have. I'd want to watch it grow, obviously breast feed until 1 year old (my son was breastfed until 18 months), and most importantly, carefully watch that it is developing normally and on time. With both my children having special needs, there is a VERY good chance that when we choose to have another child, that it would also have some special need. But I also love and cherish being a stay at home mom, and taking care of my family. And when I told my co-worker that (who is studying to be a para-legal), she said that i want to set women back hundreds of years!

Don't you love how women who are sooooooooo feminist that you can't tell them what to do and are so big on choosing things for themselves, but turn around and berate your choice because it does not line up with mainstream life? Women fought for the right to choose what they wanted, not to be told. And because of it, I CHOOSE to be a stay at home wife and mom, if and when that opportunity presents itself. What's so wrong with that?

4 comments:

LisaShaw said...

What you did not mention is if she's a Christian or not. When speaking to a non believer imparticular, they do not, will not and can not understand biblical principles and as such will resort to offending your stance whether intentionally or nonintentionally because in their minds you are setting women "back" rather than them realizing that you are speaking biblical truths but they do not understand that. Pray for her and remember when you share yourself with someone who is not on the same page or even in the same book you will risk a backlash response so try not to view it negatively because you had a great opportunity to sow a seed into her and you did that so now pray that God will bring that seed into growth as she surrenders her heart to Him at some point. Hopefully sooner and not later!!!

You're a beautiful woman Bridget, a heart after the Lord's heart and so keep being YOU.

**Sidenote: There are also some Christians that would disagree with you as well. I have found that the greatest success in Christ in my marriage is that I learned at the start of our almost 19 years, to be a submissive wife and my husband is the head of the household through Christ and ABSOLUTELY loves and adores me with a Christ love. OFTEN over the years as I teach on Marriage there are even Christian women who disagree with me or do not take to biblical submission and as such have had several marriages or are in a very unhappy marriage. I'm not suggesting that all are like this but at times you will find that even Christian women will not agree with Biblical principles and whenever we are disobeident to what God is telling us we will face trouble in any area of our lives.

Hope I've made sense...sorry for the long answer but I wanted to encourage you.

Love you.

Lainie said...

Lisa-- Amen

Carrie said...

Yes, I would pray for her, because there probably isn't much else you can do.

It's just like "tolerance" means tolerate our beliefs, but we don't have to tolerate yours.

Krystal said...

Yeah, that surprises me that she said that!

As a SAHM, I fully endorse it 100% whenever possible, especially during those first years. Plus, nursing was EXTREMELY important to my husband and me, and that can be very difficult if you are working outside the home.

I really think that some things are starting to turn around in our culture, though, as I see more and more mothers choosing to stay home when it's possible for their particular situation.

Either way, for your co-worker to categorize your actions the way she did is quite surprising to me. Pray for her, and continue to walk in love.

Also, thank you for stopping by my blog!