Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Joys of the Public School System

Well, my daughter was admitted into *cries* the public school system. I'm am soooo disheartened. And my expectations were low to begin with, and let me just say that I'm not being disappointed. One of the first things they told me was not to let my daughter's hair loose and curly. They told me i need to braid it. Why? You ask? Because the school has already had several outbreaks of LICE.

LICE???????

Yes, and one of the outbreaks was in my daughter's class. Isn't that nice. Right now i can just throw up. Sorry if I'm graphic. But I have NEVER had lice, never met anyone with lice, and i don't want to. To me, lice was some urban legend growing up. I told my husband point blank that if she comes home with lice in some miraculous way, that either he was going to take care of it, or i was shaving her head.

Now, i doubt i would shave my baby's head, but a nice bob could work....

All i know is that, this reason alone makes me want to pull her out of the school already. And she's been in there for 3 days .

Oh, and don't get me started about the look I got when I explained to the administrator that she will not be wearing pants, and will only be wearing the uniform jumper or skirt, even for gym (with leggings underneath).

It is as if my heart has separated from my body and is literally walking around waiting for all these dangers to happen to it. And it's true. She is my heart. And at the tender age of 5 (6 on the 26th of this month) she has to fight to be seen in a room full of students (25) with 1 teacher, and will have all these non-Godly influences.

THIS WEEK IS BARACK OBAMA WEEK of all things! And we have to just go along with all of this, while feeling helpless. She will be fed all this liberal propaganda (no offense), with no regard on whether or not it is a feeling shared in the child's household.

I am so upset. I hate public school. :(

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I got lice 3 times when I was put into a public school when i was in 2nd grade !! Don't let her throw her backpack in with the other childrens or put her jacket or anything like that next to theirs either thats how i got it. Its not fun having to go thru and pick out EVERY single lice thingy I feel sorry my mom ever had to do that. Im sorry your having a bad week already :( Ill pray it gets better !!!

drewmark19 said...

If it makes you feel better, I'm a Christian and a public school teacher. In the middle school I teach at, I know of several other teachers that are Christian. I'd say about half of the staff are very conservative in their beliefs. All that to say, your daughter may be taught by some very good people. I know it's difficult, because it's a toss-up as to who you'll get as a teacher. In my experience, though, most teachers really do care about educating kids...without pushing a political agenda (This is from a someone who has co-taught with close to a dozen different teachers over the past 10 years.)

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Well drew, why can't you come and teach at my child's school? lol.
I know that not all public schools are horrible (i hope not) but i can't help but worry that my children are getting short-changed.