Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feeling Better and a New Book

I am much better now. Mostly due to the fact that my husband kept feeding me hot tomato soup with oregano (my favorite!). The heat and the spices really helped and it tasted sooo good. I had it days in a row and i didn't complain! I missed checking on my blog friends and i missed what i call "blog hopping" which is how i find new people and new friends. I didn't get on the pc at all and i missed it terribly. lol. Thank you all for your kind comments and prayers. I really appreciate it!

On my way back from the doctor, i stopped in a thrift shop in Queens and bought a never read 1983 version of The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby. I paid 1 dollar for it. It is a facsimile of the original 1838-9 in two volumes, with illustrations and advertisements (from the Nicholby Advertiser) from that time. I am really thrilled by it. It makes me feel as if i am actually in that time reading the book when it was first published, eventhough I would have had to pay 1 shilling for each installment. I wonder how much is that equal to the dollar i paid. The pages seem never to have been opened. It is still crisp, no dog ears or anything. I have not seen the movie and the reason i know of the classic is the tiny reference to it in the movie version of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. After I am through, i will watch the movie and then compare. I am so excited!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oooo, cool book! I haven't read a classic in a long time! I just picked up my reserved copy of the first book in the Twilight series. I have to see what the hype is all about. Then I'm going to read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Quite timely, don't you think?

So glad you are feeling better! I miss those little rays of sunshine you always leave as comments! I also miss the ones where you go, "What the heck are you talkin about Carrie?" Those are even better! " )

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

LOL, You certainly are right about my "huh?" comments. You introduce me to alot of new concepts! I heard teenagers talking about twilight, I thought it was about that show that was on tv. Then i realized it was about that movie. I won't watch it, but if you do, compare the books. I love comparing how movie versions of books change details.

I hate the holocaust, and anything to do with Nazis. It is terribly frightening for me to think about it. I always wonder if that sort of thing can happen again.

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Glad to hear you are much better, do to some TLC. Good going hubby! Girl I love getting books for a bargain, and usually mine comes from the flea market. They'll have rolls and rolls of books for next to nothing.. HA now they are collecting at my home. I'm with you on the last comment you made "what can happen" Scary right?

Lainie said...

I'm so glad you're better!!

I told my eldest daughter you were sick and she was like, "What? Poor Mrs. Bridget G! We have to pray for her Mom!"

So we have been and thank you Jesus for healing. I hope you continue to get your strength back.

Joelle said...

So glad your feeling better! I haven't read Nicholas Nickleby yet, but we, especially my mom, loves the movie. :)