Sunday, November 2, 2008

Danger at the mall and God's Providence

I was at the mall yesterday with my husband, children, and my dad. My dad was spending time with us because my son's 4th birthday is Wednesday. We went to Green Acres Mall in Long Island and we were having so much fun browsing and talking. Then my husband split up with us so he could buy something and my dad and the kids and I kept walking. We got to the other side of the mall when my dad suggested that he go into Cohens Fashion Optical to get his glasses adjusted. It was taking a long time and I started to get impatient to get going. All of a sudden about 50 people just started running past the store and screaming. My dad got his glasses and we left the store only to see all the stores in the mall on that side putting down their gates. We just stood where we were. My dad wanted to go to see what happened, but I told him not while he was with me and my kids he couldn't! Finally when the commotion stopped and all the stores opened up their gates (the sign that things were safe again) we went into the direction of everything. (We had to go past it to get to KB Toy Store to get presents) We saw all this blood everywhere on the floor. They had a big section blocked off by police tape, and there were police everywhere. The stories of what happened was mixed but according to people who saw what happened and the news, someone had a gun, and someone had a knife. They fought (apparently over a woman) and the guy got stabbed multiple times. No one was shot.
I praise God because if the Lord hadn't had my dad turn and go into the glasses store, we would have been right in the middle of that scene or trampled in the middle of the stampede of people running away from it. We reunited with my husband (who was so stressed after I told him what we almost was in, and after he saw all that blood) and we finished going to the toy store and left to eat at a restaurant.

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7

3 comments:

Joelle said...

Praise God everything is well! That's really scary...

Courtney said...

That is a true blessing. I dont understadn the hatred and anger that these young men poses now a days. I will pray for them tonight!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

yeah, i'm so blessed that nothing really serious happened to us. I've never had to experience something like that before. But thankfully my children did not notice the commotion. (I think God shielded them)