Sunday, October 19, 2008

My "horribly ugly" way of dress

I was told today by a friend at work that what i was wearing was "horribly ugly". But here is the thing. I wear a uniform. So then she clarified herself. It turns out she doesnt like what i wear in addition to my uniform. I wear the uniform skirt (because I stopped wearing pants about 2 months ago) with my uniform blouse. But under the skirt, i have been wearing legging type pants because it is deathly cold outside now and inside my office as well (they keep the air conditioning on year round). And i have my furry winter boots on also, not to mention that when my head gets cold i put on my scarf that says "I *heart* Jesus, and a hat on top of that.
Plus my coat goes on when i'm cold as well.

So here is a breakdown of what i wore today to make her say that I'm horribly ugly.

Long sleeved shirt under Long sleeved uniform shirt
Leggings under skirt
Boots (with socks obviously)
Uniform Sweater
Coat
Headscarf
Hat

And i was ugly....ok.
Now here is what i don't understand. What did she want me to wear? There are girls in this office who will "cute up" their uniform, despite the weather. Or does she expect me to wear pants because it's cold?

She actually laughed at me when she asked if i change before leaving the office. Of course i don't. I am not ashamed of what i wear. I am not ashamed to layer. I am not ashamed to be modest.

Why should my standards change? Why should my morals change? I'm not going to freeze to death and displease my God for anything or anyone.

This is just one of my struggles for believing what i believe and living in New York.

10 comments:

Courtney said...

I have never been terrible girly 9although i had quiet the hoochy streak as a teenager) but now i am a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal and it seems to strike a nerve sometimes with girls who think you should kill your self to be beautiful. I respect that you want to be comfortable not "cute"!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

lol. You made me laugh when you said "hoochy". Thats how i can describe half the girls on my block. But i will never understand how what you wear bothers people. It is as if they aren't happy unless you look just like them.

Carrie said...

Did you tell her that was a "horribly ugly" thing to say? The nerve!!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Nah, I didn't say anything about it, I just told her i was cold, which was true. But she doesn't mean it to really hurt. She just has a very odd sense of humor. She probably thought she was funny.

Miss Jocelyn said...

Ah geesh..... with the fashions today who's to say what is "ok" and what is not? LOL

I'd smiled and said well that's why I'm wearing it and not you. :P

Maybe you should add some striped socks tomorrow? haha

Joelle said...

Aww, the outfit sounds cute! but it makes me so happy that you have resolved to stand firm. :)

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

Good for you! I think sometimes people may really admire you for your convictions, but it makes them uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable makes them feel like they need to tear you down to bring themselves up. New York!? I bet you ARE cold!:>)
(I "found" you blog hopping tonight!:>)
McKenzie

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Well, ya know, I can only be me. In fashion or not. I can't please everyone. Just my God and myself. lol. And of course my husband.

Lainie said...

Don't forget, she said what you were **wearing** was ugly.

She didn't say **YOU** were ugly.

As you know, your beauty comes from the Lord... clothes could never add to or take away from the perfect beauty of Him that lives inside of you.

But we are defiled by what comes out of our mouths so I better pray for that girl at your work.

Ruth said...

As we say here in Jamaica..."Pride naah feel nuh pain...mi wan a feel it". (Hope you can decipher) :D

I'm with you... comfort over style any day!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Hugs,
Ruth